Sunday, June 14, 2009

Thinking more about adoption

Alan and I have spent a lot of time thinking about how we want to build our family and we've been thinking more and more about adoption. There are MANY reasons why we want to adopt. Go to http://www.heartgalleryofamerica.com and you will see part of the reason. The short of it is, that we are ready to start a family, but we're not quite ready to get pregnant. We're ready to share our home, build memories and bond with a child - our child. We are prepared to love a child and raise them as they were our own. We have not taken this lightly and are well aware of what is involved. It's going to be a long exciting, and stressful process just to be eligible to have a child placed in our home. Not to mention the emotional process of bonding and attaching and helping the child to transition into our lives.

As our family grows we want to have adopted and biological children at home, as well a (manageable) menagerie of pets. These are exciting thoughts for me.

On Tuesday, we will take our first step forward with the process by attending an orientation for prospective foster and adoptive parents. I think going to this orientation will give is a lot better idea of what we are getting into (more than just the books I've read and websites I've visited) and we will know for sure if we want to go forward.

We'll keep you posted...

2 comments:

Kelly said...

I'm so excited for you both...I hope all goes well with the process, I can hardly wait to have another little on running around!

Beckums said...

:)